Monday, June 23, 2008

Vignettes - and adding a little D*R*A*M*A




Today I am going to show you how to add a simple vignette to you images in PSE6.

First lets open an image, like this one of Princess-in-Training. Isn’t she cute (everyone say yes!) I just love that look on her face!

Next, we are going to go into filters and choose Correct Camera Distortion.

Your screen will now look like this:

On the right side you will see a slider for creating a vignette. Slide it toward the left to achieve the amount of vignette you want in your image. I like to turn off the Grid at the bottom of the page and then I can see how much I am sliding down my amount and midpoint.

Now click OK and you are done!

Like I told you easy – a vignette to add dept to our image!

I like it just fine – but that is about it. Still kind of flat for me. I like something a little more dramatic. So let’s add a little drama!

Using my Shape Tool I am going to drag a white rectangle over the image. Notice that I have white as my foreground color and black as my background.

You then repeat the steps to create a vignette – but first you need to simplify the shape.

Create another vignette with the slider.


Click okay when you are satisfied with your vignette.

Now for the drama – we are going to blend the vignette to the image of Princess-in-Training!

On the right side of your screen, right about the Shape in the Layers palate you will see a menu drop down that say normal. Click on that as I have:

Now you want to select Multiply – make sure that you have the Shape layer highlighted in the Layer Palate.

Merge the layers together and wow! Here is my final image :D

This is just a spring board to enhance your images her are some variations I did just to show you the possibilities!

Yes, she is defiantly a drama queen :D

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh yeah! Thank you so much!

Now how did you add those swirls on the last pic? Is that just a digital thingy?

JMCS said...

Wonderful tuturial and my goodness could your sweetie be any more adorable??? :)

Thanks for another awesome tutorial. I will get a lot of use out of this one.

Hugs,
Jonni

JMCS said...

I just tried it, thank you, thank you, thank you! This is AWESOME!!!

Hugs,
Jonni

Sharon said...

You are amazing to give us lessons. i will have to come back when my brain is working though! i wish you lived next door!!! THANK you!!!

Jewels of My Heart said...

oh, my gosh! I finally found your site you have been telling me about..... I love it!
I love the pic! Ilove finally getting to learn how to do stuff! I love you!

Kate said...

Debbie,

I am just starting to practice using vignettes. I just did one yesterday on a picture. You inspire me so much...and I am having alot of fun experimenting. Although...my main goal now is to learn how to take a good photo in the first place....:-)

I love how you edited this photo!
You are fabulous!

Kate

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness. You have the cutest daughter that I have ever seen!

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried this yet as I should be working but had to finish reading this post on vignettes - you make it seem so easy. THANK U!!

Colleen