Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Creating Chipboard Elements with Brushes

So you bought a kit – love all the doodles and swirls, the papers are perfect for the image you just shot, and last but not least the creative juices are flowing! Great – Wrong! The great swirl is in a stripe that looks horrific next to your daughter beautiful new…

Okay, maybe I am getting to personal, but I love having the ability to take a brush of a swirl and turn them into exactly what I want in the blink of an eye – well – a few click of a mouse :D

Today, we are going to take a brush from Rhonna Farrer and apply some papers and then add a stroke to edge it to give us an element that looks like chipboard. I love Rhonna Farrer’s swirls and I thin that they are well worth investing in for your digital toolbox and after this I hope that you will see how easy using brushes is. I have all my brushes installed and if you are having trouble installing brushes then shoot me an e-mail. Please don’t just leave me a comment because so many times I try to answer your questions and I get that “no reply” e-mail.

So – let open those brushes :D
I start by opening a new page. I happen to like working with the white background – but that is just a preference of mine and I will delete it at the end.

I am going to select my brush from the tool sidebar and it will give me my options at the top of my workspace.As you can see – I use the drop down menu to select what brush collection I want to use and then it will expand so that I can chose the brush I want.I need to do one more thing before I actually use my brush and that is create a new layer. Remember I told you that I was going to delete my background at the end; I need to create this layer so that I don’t delete my project.So here is a quick look at my screen Nothing to exciting – let’s fix that :D The first thing that we are going to do is just positin the brush on the page with our mouse and then give it a single left click. Make sure that you are working on Layer 1.
I don’t know what size this is going to be in my final layout so I am going to err on the big size and then shrink it to fit when I go to design my layout.The next thing I need to do is select a piece of paper and I am going to use black polka dots from Shabby Miss Jenn’s Gracie’s Garden for this. I have the two windows side by side.And I am simply going to drag and drop my black paper onto my brush design. When you do this you should not see your design. I have played with the opacity for the purpose of the tutroial.I am going to close my paper and expand my project. I want the dots to be smaller so I am going to shrink my paper to where it is just barely covers my brush design.

and now I can cut my design out from my brush by using the Ctrl G shortcut.


Viola ~ we have used a brush to create a perfectly matched element for your layout!

I am not quite done – I want it to look like chipboard so I am first going to add a stroke of white to outline the design. To do this I first going to delete my white background layer and flatten my image (this step is in another tutorial or e-mail me for help). I am going to use the stroke command found in the edit tab at the top of the screen.
When you select this you will get a window that asks you to select the pixel width of your outline and the color. For this I am using a pixel width of 5 and a white outline. FYI – when I outline pictures I use a pixel width of 20 to 35.Here is what we now have and we are almost done:
Remember I said I wanted to create a chipboard look; we do that by using the bevel feature in the Effect palate.I like the Simple Embossed bevel look so I pick that option and hit apply. I went ahead and added the drop shadow so that you could see the cardstock effect.

What do you think now? Easy huh :D



Please let me know if this tutorial was helpful and remember to e-mail me if you have questions – I’d love to help :D


5 comments:

Mommy said...

this was awesome..and fun - perfect for my insomnia, too

Rebecca said...

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. I stumbled upon it searching for blogs about digital photography, motherhood, etc. I am a long-time paper scrapbooker, but I am just getting into digital scrapbooking. Your site is helpful because for some reason i find designing on the computer overwhelming! You make BEAUTIFUL pages of your children! They are so lucky to have you making those keepsakes!

Anonymous said...

I made my 2nd page with a brush that I finally got loaded this am. I really like the layout. I love learning new techniques- thanks so much for helping me!!! I am sending you my page via email.

Julia said...

I can not wait to get home and try this out on CS3, I'm sure it will work the same way (or at least I hope). I've always wondered how to make digital scrapbooking elements - thanks so much for taking the time to show us these tips and tricks!!

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how simple some things are, but until they are explained, they seem so hard. Thanks for making this something that I can understand! I can't wait play around with some things for my vacation book!