Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Curling Paper and Installing Actions

Well - the number one request was "teach us how to curl the paper!" Um??? Use a curling iron? LOL! Little joke ;D This is VERY VERY easy and this will also get you addicted - I mean started - using ACTIONS!

- here we go!

First you will need to go to here and download the Action by Traci Murphy Designs. It is a whopping $5. The file will be zipped so you will need to extract all the files before you can install this Action. Make sure that you do not have PSE6 running while you are installing Actions.

The most challenging thing about this for me was installing the Action in PSE6. Since this is the program that most of you have mentioned that you use, I am going to take you through the steps of installing this Actions in PSE6. Very important - you must purchase the Action for the software that you are using. I have found that if the Action works in PSE5 - it will work in PSE 6 but you MUST rename the PSD to PNG by using the Save AS tool.

Once you have renamed your file, the process of installing the action becomes much easier. Open My Computer:

You are next going to open Local Drive C.

and from there - go to Documents and Settings:
Once you are in the Documents and Settings Window click on All Users. because of the way our computer is set up - I can not do a print screen of this page. From the all Users page go to Application Data and open that folder.and then navigate to the Adobe folder and open it.
Once in the Adobe Folder choose Photoshop Elements, and inside that folder -open 6.0. You computer screen should now look like this:
We are almost - and ready to install the Actions. We need to open the Photo Creation folder to get to the Photo Effects folder:
Once we open the Photo Effects folder we will see all the effect that came preloaded in with PSE6. With the folder open that contains your Actions make sure that you rename the file so that it has an PNG ending - and drag and drop it into the Photo Effect window. Now your actions are installed!

Open PSE6 and a sheet of paper that you want to curl. You will also need to open your Traci Murphy Curl Paper Action to get to the templates. Remember how to use templates?

Here is that your screen should look like:
Open the Temp folder:
and pick one of the four paper curls to use. I am using #4 on a piece of paper from Miss Shabby Jenn's new Flower Stand kit. Adjust your work space so that the two windows are side by side.
Now, Drag and Drop the paper into the template.

Cover the entire template with the paper. I close my original paper at this point too.
Take a moment and look at the Layers Palate. Make sure that you paper is the top layer.
We are now ready to run the Action which is in the Effects Palate above the layers. I DO NOT know why, but the action is just a blank square. On my image above it is in the bottom left corner. In the image below I have pointed to it with a red arrow. To run the Action click on it and hit Apply. Once again MAKE SURE that your paper is the top layer and highlighted in the Layers Palate.
You did it! Now you have a beautiful curl for your pages! Have fun :D &
Let me know how it works out!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow, thank you so much! I can't wait to try this! I left a comment on the colorized images. I changed my blog header and used an image I edited. Thanks again!

Jennifer

mommy24treasures said...

thank you! I am going to try this. I haven't had much time for blogging or pages this week, things got busy but as soon as I do have time I really want to get this technique down. I have PSE5.

Anonymous said...

I am stuck on the first step... How do I save it as Save as??? Sorry.

Susie said...

I am also stuck on the first step. I can't wait to try this out. Thanks!!!