Friday, April 4, 2008

Colorizing Images

I have had a few people ask about how I do the colorization technique. I am working on my photography website and I have several images that I scanned from my professional days before kids and need to be able to show to prospective clients. Here is a composition I love! I hate the way it looks after being scanned – so with a few tricks I can spruce up :D Ready?

BTW - While I did grow up with a fashion photographer father and lots of college classes - my "digital" education is probably a lot like yours reading blogs and trial and error. The trick that I am using today is one I learned for the Pioneer Woman, but I played around with it to get the softer brown tones that I prefer.

The first thing that I am going to do is click CTRL J to make a working layer that I can manipulate. You will also notice that I have hidden my project pin.

I also need to turn my Background into a workable layer. See below:

Now we can start manipulating.

The first thing that I am going to do is turn Layer 1 to a Sepia Tone by using the Photo Effect that comes with Photoshop Elements 6. Look at the above image and there are 11 square boxes above the Layers Palate – the Sepia Tone has a black box around it and the hit apply. Make sure that you are working with Layer 1 as in the figure below:

You will notice in the Layers Palate that there is a blue fx by the layer that you have applied your photo effects to. Right above the fx symbol is the opacity slider. That is where we are going now.
Slide it around until you find the right amount of color bleeding through. The above image is at 74% opacity.

For me that is too much so I am going to slide the opacity up and I find that I like it at 86%.

I need to flatten my layers together and I do that by going into the Layers Menu in the top tool bar. The last option is flatten image:


Done. I can save the image as a jpeg and get it printed or use it in my scrapbooks.

I would love to see your images so try this and the please leave me a link so I can see your beautiful images!

7 comments:

Gammyshouse said...

I spent quite a bit of time this morning (like I had the time! [smile]) looking at the fantastic images of your beautiful family! I can't thank you enough for sharing them with us!

mommy24treasures said...

good idea on the new blog. I don't blame you, thats good thinking! Then the other blog will just be your beautiful work.
Have you shared how to roll the paper before? I love that technique. I am not sure what excatly you call it but I hope you know what I am talking about. :)

Julia said...

What a gorgeous photo - I love how you edited it, it looks just like it was meant to be that way to begin with.qgc

Jennifer said...

I am so excited! I can't wait to try this! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Jennifer said...

I've only played around with this a little. The picture on my new blog header was edited like this. Thanks again for the tips!

Anonymous said...

I just completed my first sepia!!! It is beautiful!!! I am scrapbooking it and will send it in a little while. Thanks so much!I absolutely LOVE the one you did- makes me wish I could have another baby. Maybe I will strip down Shaylee and let EK hold her:-)
Shay

JulieM said...

This blog is a great idea!! I am just venturing in the digital scrapbooking world. What program or programs do you you use? Do you use PhotoShop Elements 6 to do all your photo organization and photo editing?