Friday, September 19, 2008

Let’s Talk About Brushes

This is the first in a series that I want to do on brushes. I want to start very simple and progress.
I will be working in Photoshop CS3 - but I am also doing it in Elements at the same time so that I can alert Elements users to any differences.

As you see in Figure 1. I have opened a blank white sheet on which we are going to play with brushes. Today we are going to create a distressed accent. The reason I have chosen this is because I think that you should learn this technique first - add and subtract.

Figure 1

The first thing is to get your brush tool and select a brush. Today I am going to use Diane Miller’s Serene Brush Set. For learning this technique - I suggest starting with a large brush.

Figure 2

I simply left click the mouse one time and an imprint of the brush I want to use is applied to my paper. Notice that I created a new layer for my brush stroke in the layers palate. This is the additive concept that we will build on. Today, this will be the only thing we add to the layout.

Now - I want to give it a grunged look. For that I am going to use my eraser as a brush. Your erase can be used in three different mode - brush, pencil, and block. You will find the mode selection at the top of you window under you main tabs. This tool bar will show you the brush you have selected, the size, mode, and opacity. Get comfortable with these. Make sure that your eraser is in brush and for our subtractive technique I am going to use Brandy Valenzuela Grungelle for distressing.
Figure 3

I am going to turn the opacity down to about 50 -60% and start SLOWLY left clicking my mouse. DO not drag your mouse.

Figure 4

You will see how the top part has a worn and faded look. I am going to switch brushes and subtract some more from the leaves. I like to switch brushes during the subtractive portion because it geive an more realistic effect.

Figure 5

Here is my almost finished product. I used 3 different brushes to subtract from the original. I stayed on Layer on for the entire technique. I used large sized brushes very few strokes. This technique take some practice - but it is very important.

Now - to finish it off I add a sheet of paper from Thao Cosgrove’s Life’s Canvas Collection and use the clipping mask feature to “glue” them together!
Figure 6

Please post some of what you do in the Pixel Fairy Princess Flickr group :D

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I guess I'm still a little confused what brushes are to start. Is that flower thing is that an image you started with or is it a brush? Is a brush kind of like a stamp. I like the finished product. Hope to figure it out...

Oh and on the HTML stuff. I think that has something to do with the size of the screen...I have a few people I've done blogs for that say they can see the side paper at home, but not work, etc. At least that's what I count it up to. :)

Julia said...

I can't believe I saw this right when we have to leave for a soccer tournament... can't wait to get home and try this - thanks so much for the tut's!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for breaking down the brushes into something I can understand. I can't wait to learn more!!!!!!!!