Friday, August 15, 2008

Text on a Path


As many of you have noticed – I have really been playing with my type lately. There are several ways to do this – the easiest is being to buy a collection like Valarie Randell's Collection Text on a Path. In a recent LO called Together I used Syndee’s Nuckles new Borderline2 Template and had my text follow the curves. Here is how I did it. You must have Photoshop CS3 to do this as Photoshop Elements does not have vector features like this – Sorry.

So lets look at the LO I am creating today of Princess-in-Training – my little trooper! I am going to use Thao Cosgrove's Ornamental Ink Brush Set right on my image. Here is where I am in the Layout.

BTW - you can click on the images to enlarge them.

Fig 1

I am going to select my freeform pen and draw a line that follows the curve of the swirl. I like to make sure that I have the rest of my LO pretty much set so that I don’t have to move the text once I do it.

Fig 2

Here is what it looks like after I draw the path I want to follow.

Fig 3.

I am now going to get my type tool and line it up with the path I just drew. I left click with my mouse and a text box appears with my cursor ready to go. One trick is to make sure that you have left justification checked - otherwise you might get frustrated.

Fig 4

Now I type some text.

Fig 5

See how easy that was – and fun :D

I will let you in on another secret – to draw my line, I use a Wascom Bamboo tablet and pen. They are a ton of fun and so addictive.


4 comments:

JMCS said...

Thanks for the awesome tutorial. I love working with text paths and thanks for the step by step on how to do this.

hugs,
Jonni

Julia said...

You always use the most gorgeous brushes, thanks for the link, I'm going to have to pick that one up, it adds such a feminine touch to the layouts.

Misty Jones Photography said...

I love your blog!! :) When I have more time I will come back and try to learn a thing or two! :)

Shelly said...

Thanks so much! I love your tutorials! Did you ever finish the second part of the template one?